Items in bold are more recent.
Here's the list of what I've done so far:
- When you fly into the guard band (see below) such that your craft
is no longer on the screen, a marker appears pointing where you are.
As you get closer to the edge it changes from yellow to red.
- Changed the way lasers are handled so that all other weapons can
be treated the same (i.e. lasers are treated exactly the same as,
say, missiles - they just look different, move faster, and do a
different amount of damage).
- Added "dumb" missiles which just fly straight. Since the missile
starts out moving at the same velocity as you it's a bit difficult to
hit things when you're flying fast. That's fine by me - makes things
more challenging :)
- Changed the thrust sprite on your craft. It now has a left and
right thrust sprite which act independently. This means when you
turn left, the right thruster fires, and vice-versa. Also got rid of
the smoke since we're not using combustible fuel here.
- Created menu system. It can handle: submenus, toggle switches
(ex. sound fx on/off), slider bars (ex. music volume), and button
input (for controller configuration). Will add more functionality as
- Started work on the shop screen. In between certain levels you'll
have the opportunity to upgrade your craft with money you find during
the level. All graphics are placeholders for the moment.
- Integrated the menu system with the shop screen.
- Added moons to the planets. Each planet can have
several moons. The moons revolve around the planets, rotate
and exert their own gravity.
- Added suns. They have gravity which is several times that
of the planets. Also, the sun casts shadows on all the planets
in the appropriate directions. Eventually they will affect the
temperature of your craft.
- Increased the scale of planets. Otherwise the turrets
look too large compared to them.
- Instead of crashing when you collide with a planet, you now
skip off, taking damage to your shield. Of course if your
shield is down you'll still crash...
- Added a 100 pixel guard band around the perimeter of the
playfield. That way if you fly off the side of the screen you
don't die right away, but have a chance to get back.
- Added sound!!!
- The player now explodes when destroyed.
- Added fire and smoke when you thrust.
- Shields now recharge. If an object gets hit enough such
that it's shield drops, it will slowly charge back up. After
the shield energy reaches a certain threshold it will turn back
- Added pieces of scrap which fly off a turret when hit
(after the shield has been drained of course)
- When the turrets explode there are a couple of explosion
sprites and a few large pieces of scrap go flying away. As a
neat after-effect, the large pieces of scrap explode into
several smaller pieces after a time delay. It doesn't affect
anything, but it looks cool.
- Each planet can come in 5 different sizes - and thus 5
different gravity strengths. Also each can use any one of 6
different CLUTs. I plan on having 8 different planet graphics
so this leads to 8 * 5 * 6 or 240 possible planets. The
different CLUTs have no actual affect on gameplay - they're just
there so you don't see the same planets over and over.
- I significantly increased the quality of the planet
graphics. I had bought that Texture Universe CD when I got the
Yaroze and figured this was a good way to finally use it. By
applying a mineral, dirt, or organic texture to a sphere's
surface it looks convincingly like a planet.
- I restructured my code to make it more viable to create a
- A two-level parallax background has been added. Rather
than use the GsBG method (since I could never get that to work)
I just use sprites.
- Added a module which prints any text string on the screen.
You can play all sorts of funky tricks with the letters. I
will use this for the intro sequence and for beginning of level
- Player and turret shields added (with crappy hand-drawn
- If a player/turret gets hit and still has enough
shield energy left to absorb the damage then only the
shield is displayed.
- If the shield is low on power (or
has no power) then an explosion is shown and damage
is done to the target.
- Collision detection for laser beams added
- Turrets rotate to face the player and fire when facing
- Implemented a table for the various types of
turrets. That way I can have one turret which rotates
quickly, but fires slowly; or another which rotates slowly
but has a powerful laser; etc.
- Note that any laser can hit any target
once fired. So if you fly between two turrets correctly,
they could both fire at you, miss, and end up hitting each
- Created new object for enemy turrets
- Player can now fire laser
- Added HUD to show vectors for movement, thrust, and
- Player can rotate and thrust
- Collision detection for the player hitting planets
- Objects exert appropriate gravity on the player
- Menu at beginning of level lets you select angle and
- Screen scrolls when actual playfield is larger than
- Objects display on screen
GFKAEV‡ Screen Shots
Sorry, no new screen shots.
This web page and all other pages on this site are
© 1997 Scott Cartier